The Issue of Lead Paint and what home owners need to know when remodeling.
Recently the EPA has issued regulation to contractors in regards to the “disturbing” of lead paint in homes built before 1978. As we all know, lead paint can be extremely hazardous. It can affect the development of the central nervous system in unborn children and in children who may ingest paint chips. In adults, even low levels of lead can cause loss of brain cells and hypertension. When it comes time to remodel your home, there are some things you should consider to ensure the safety of you and your family.
There are two choices in dealing with lead paint. It can either be covered by a non – lead based paint or a lead paint certified contractor can be hired to remove the paint. This second option may be necessary if the wood work containing t he lead paint needs to be replaced. If this is the case, you will need to find an EPA certified contractor. This means they have taken and passed the course provided by the EPA and paid to be licensed. As a home owner feel free to ask your contractor to see their lead paint certification license and their training certificate. Don’t be nervous to ask. If they are certified they will be happy to show it to you.
Also your contractor should provide the pamphlet “Renovate Right” which explains exactly what they will be doing in the process of removing the lead paint. It will also give you tips on how to prepare ahead of time for the renovation. If you run into questions or concerns, contact the EPA hotline 1800-424 -LEAD. Remember, your family’s health is worth the extra effort and money to have it done right.
Good Odd Jobs